Historical records indicate that following the Battle of Stoney Creek, some of the soldiers were buried here in a mass grave. In 1899, Allan Smith, while ploughing on this rise of land, uncovered human remains and bits of cloth with the insignia of both British and American regiments. The area became known in the community as Smith’s Knoll. On August 1, 1910, a ceremony was held to mark the unveiling of the Lion’s Monument as a memorial to the soldiers who fought in the Battle of Stoney Creek.
74 King Street West
Stoney Creek, ON L8G 1H7