From jaw-dropping waterfalls to blockbuster festivals, Hamilton is packed with bucket-list summer experiences you won’t find anywhere else this close to home. Mix and match these outdoor experiences, kid-approved attractions, and great food and drink spots for an unforgettable stay in our summer playground.
Follow along as these content creators and Hamilton attractions share some summer travel inspo:
See & Do
Outdoor adventure, blockbuster events, and world-class attractions are waiting for you this summer.
We love to surprise visitors with our stunning nature.
- Chase these breathtaking waterfalls across the city with our Waterfall Guide.
- Hike your heart out along the forest and waterfront trails branching off of the Niagara Escarpment that cuts through the city using our Hiking Guide.
- Check out our Cycling Guide to see the best of the city on two wheels.
- Feel the healing power of "Forest Bathing" with guided immersive tours at Hamilton's stunning Dundas Valley Conservation Area.
- Fun fact, Hamilton is actually 80% rural! Get back to the land with these grounding agricultural experiences.
- Find more fun outdoors with our Outdoor Adventure Guide.
Add some wow to your visit at these world-class attractions and explore our vibrant neighourhoods.
- Come see Royal Botanical Gardens, Canada’s largest botanical garden, in full bloom with a side of unforgettable summer events.
- Celebrate Canada’s largest flying museum – Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum’s – 50th anniversary with special exhibits and events this summer.
- Cool off and be inspired inside the region’s largest and oldest public art gallery at Art Gallery of Hamilton.
- Explore like a local with our neighbourhood guides to the best food and shopping in every corner of the city.
- Take a self-guided tour of the city's best street art.
Top Festivals and Events
Mark your calendar for these must-visit summer events.
- Sporting Events: Cheer on our hometown teams as the Hamilton Tiger-Cats, Forge FC, and Hamilton Cardinals compete all summer long.
- Farm Crawl: Experience life on the farm and discover these rural destinations.
- Art Crawl: On the second Friday of every month hit up James Street North for a friendly, late night block party.
- Pop-Ups at Pier 8: Head down to the waterfront for fun-filled movie nights, music, markets, and patio parties.
- Lucky Lion Night Market: Experience a culinary adventure this summer at Bayfront Park.
- Festival of Friends: Enjoy music, art, and food in Gage Park.
- Concrete Canvas: Watch local and internationally acclaimed artists bring art to life in the streets at this outdoor festival.
- Winona Peach Festival: If you're a peach lover, you won't want to miss this iconic festival.
- Supercrawl: Come experience Hamilton's biggest outdoor music and arts festival – celebrating its 15th anniversary this summer!
- Event Calendar: Stay up to date with all the top summer events happening during your visit.
- Country Music Week: Celebrate the best in Canadian country music with concerts, events, and an awards show.
Play – Family Fun
Release your wild child with these kid-approved experiences, guaranteed to banish summer boredom.
- Slide into some serious fun at Wild Waterworks on the shores of Lake Ontario.
- Travel through a canopy of trees on ziplines and bridges at Treetop Trekking.
- Climb and slide across massive inflatables at FunSplash Sports Park at the lake at Binbrook Conservation Area.
- At African Lion Safari you can get closer than you ever imagined possible to over 1,000 exotic animals.
- Check out these kid-friendly stops at Hamilton’s West Harbour: a rollerskating rink, the floating HMCS Haida museum and the Canadian icon, Theodore Tugboat.
- At nearby Bayfront Park, kids can walk the plank at the new Pirate Life children's theatre and escape room aboard a pirate ship!
- Soak up summer at Hamilton’s fun-packed beachfront.
- Use our Family Friendly Hikes Guide to find pretty hikes that are fun and easy for little feet to tackle.
- Step back in time at Westfield Heritage Village Museum – a living history museum and conservation area with lots of room to roam and a vintage train to explore.
- Find more family friendly fun.
Eat – Food & Drink
Fuel your perfect summer getaway with these delicious food and drink ideas.
- Use our Patio Guide to book your table at one of these destination patios.
- Plan a perfect park hang along with great picnic food nearby.
- Raise a glass at these thirst-quenching go-to’s for locally crafted beer, wine and ciders.
- You’ll find something to satisfy even the pickiest eater with our guide to kid approved eateries.
- Eating on a budget when visiting Hamilton is easy – and delicious – when you know where to go.
Bonus Planning Tips
Make your getaway extra perfect with these insider tips.
- Plan your route – including how to skip the pump with the new all-day GO Train service into Hamilton.
- Once you’re here, explore on two wheels by renting a SoBi Bike or e-Scooter.
- Use our Accommodations Guide to find the perfect place to spend the night after a day of exploring.